Hi! I am a PhD student at the MIT Institute for Data, Systems, and Society. My project focuses on building a technology assessment framework to evaluate the environmental impacts and costs of powertrain technologies for cars in the United States. I use a combination of systems analysis, statistics, and powertrain simulation to gauge factors that influence the environmental and economic performance of these technologies, such as travel behavior, geographical conditions, and vehicle automation. The resulting framework allows me to construct feasible technology evolution scenarios that meet emission targets for personal transportation.
I'm also interested in exploring the intersection of web design and science communication. I build data visualization tools for a wide audience to interactively explore results on vehicle technology evaluation. Find my first project under Data Visualization.
In my spare time, you'll sometimes find me behind the viewfinder of a camera, especially when travelling. I've allowed myself to share a couple of pictures. Enjoy!
Carboncounter.com is a website that lets users compare the lifecycle emissions and costs of 125 vehicle models against other cars and against climate targets.
In the News
- · 2016-09-27 An App to Help Save Emissions (and Maybe Money) When Buying a Car
- · 2016-09-28 New MIT app: check if your car meets climate targets
- · 2016-09-27 It May Not Cost You More To Drive Home In A Climate-Friendly Car
- · 2016-09-28 This tool shows exactly which cars screw the climate
- · 2016-09-27 Study: Low-emissions vehicles are less expensive overall
- · 2016-09-27 Low-emission cars a better value than polluters · study
- · Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board · 2017 TripEnergy: Estimating personal vehicle energy consumption given limited travel survey data
- · Journal of Water Resources Planning and Management · 2017 Water Supply Infrastructure Planning: Decision-Making Framework to Classify Multiple Uncertainties and Evaluate Flexible Design
- · International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment · 2017 Integrated environmental and economic assessment of current and future fuel cell vehicles
- · Environmental Science & Technology · 2016 Personal vehicles evaluated against climate change mitigation targets
© 2017 Marco Miotti.