Hi! I am a Postdoctoral Fellow at the Stanford Urban Informatics Lab. I am investigating how human behavior, technology, and urban form interact in forming energy consumption and pollution patterns of cities, and how these interactions can be leveraged to reduce the environmental footprint of human activity.
In my current work, I am building an urban energy modeling framework to evaluate the impact of urban design strategies on city energy consumption across the building sector and the transportation sector. To do so, I combine traditional engineering simulation with data-driven statistical methods. Before starting my Postdoc, I used a similar approach to evaluate the environmental impacts and costs of ownership of different types of cars, subject to heterogeneous travel patterns, geographical conditions, vehicle properties, and driving styles.
In my spare time, you'll sometimes find me behind the viewfinder of a camera, especially when travelling. I've allowed myself to share a couple of pictures. Enjoy!
Carboncounter.com is a website that lets users compare the lifecycle emissions and costs of new cars against other cars and against climate targets. I've recently updated it for the 2021 model year.
In the News
- · 2021-01-15 Electric Cars Are Better for the Planet – and Often Your Budget, Too
- · 2018-12-12 Electric cars claim to be cheaper and greener. But are they?
- · Letter · 2017-11-20 Reality is that most EVs emit less CO2 than petrol cars over their lifetimes
- · 2016-09-27 An App to Help Save Emissions (and Maybe Money) When Buying a Car
- · 2016-09-28 New MIT app: check if your car meets climate targets
- · 2016-09-27 It May Not Cost You More To Drive Home In A Climate-Friendly Car
- · 2016-09-27 Low-emission cars a better value than polluters · study
- · Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS) · 2021 Modeling aggregate human mobility patterns in cities based on the spatial distribution of local infrastructure
- · Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board · 2017 TripEnergy: Estimating personal vehicle energy consumption given limited travel survey data
- · Journal of Water Resources Planning and Management · 2017 Water Supply Infrastructure Planning: Decision-Making Framework to Classify Multiple Uncertainties and Evaluate Flexible Design
- · Environmental Science & Technology · 2016 Personal vehicles evaluated against climate change mitigation targets
- · International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment · 2015 Integrated environmental and economic assessment of current and future fuel cell vehicles
© 2021 Marco Miotti.